Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CMU BOND BEAMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbone73

Structural
Apr 2, 2009
US
Is it possible to construct an inclined bond beam? I have a shear wall that follows the slope of the roof. The total vertical distance from the top of the wall from one end to the other is about 4ft. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is possible. Masons will complain, but it is possible. Typically i would slope the blocks one course down and then have the top bond beam made from solid blocks. Or you can step your bond beam and just extend re bar beyond and grout all above solid.

It's not a reasonable solution, even if possible. Use a concrete tie beam at the top to form the slope. Rake (step) the top of the cmu and hold the cmu low enough to provide for adequate depth of the raked tie beam.

There was a short discussion about this a couple of weeks ago. thread507-354052
It's a coincidence, but I've been detailing some sloped wall tops on some projects recently. I've been been requesting that the masons use bond beam block in the regular coursing (not sloped) for the top one or two layers and either fill the notches with grout or trim block to make the top sloped. No complaints yet, but that's probably becuase the designs haven't hit the streets.
As common of a situation as this is, you'd expect a bunch of detailing guidance.

Agree with UCFSe, common in most of Florida at least, and is referred to as a "raked tie beam", which is a formed and poured beam at the top of the wall. Also like UCF said I think we would have them step it to maintain a min of 8" of the concrete.

Jed- not sure I completely understand your detail, but it may be difficult to get a high slump grout to slope properly, it tends to self level...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back