Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cold Formed Steel Knockout/punchout location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rdar43

Structural
Apr 25, 2022
US
I have a condition where a gauge metal studs were fabricated with noncircular knockouts that have 9" of material at the end of the studs. In AISI S100-16 1.1.1 it indicates provisions for the modification of effective width of studs with knockouts but is only applicable when the end distance is 10". The section also indicates that the effective width can be determined with a stub-column test but I'm wondering if there is an alternative analysis for this condition. Since the studs are close to the requirement I'm leaning towards telling the G.C. to apply web stiffeners at every location and moving on but not sure if there are any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you provide more information?

Stud depth, gage, flange width
Location - interior wall, exterior wall, joist
Demand

I doubt I would worry about 1" - other than in my personal life :)

XR250 said:
I doubt I would worry about 1" - other than in my personal life :)

XR...you and dik...what are we going to do with you two...

Rdar43 - are these load bearing studs? If so, how highly stressed are they? As long as you're not trying to hit a gnat's behind with a dart on this one, I probably wouldn't be too concerned either.

The studs are load bearing wall studs at the lowest floor of a 5 story building. They are 600S250-97 studs in the interior of the building and the demand for the majority of the interior walls is at 85% stress but there are 2 walls that are at 101%

I still would not worry about it. Many other failure modes would likely dominate.
I would be more concerned about making sure my bracing details were solid.
I used to have the installers flip every other stud to prevent mass sideways buckling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back