Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cold Formed Steel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

par060

Structural
Feb 28, 2001
US
I am checking a design of some cold formed Steel Z shape purlins. I haven't worked with this material before. I have the 1996 cold formed steel design manual put out by AISI and am learning with the examples. I have gotten through the effective section properties example I-10. There is one value that I cannot find where or how to calculate....In the table where the moment of inertia is determined they find a y distance from the extreme fiber of the section ...the last 2 distances .202 (to the top lip) and 7.649(to the bottom lip) have worked for hours and I can't seem to get these numbers...If anyone has had this problem or can help me out I would appreciate any help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing I have experienced with cold formed shapes is that manufacturers gauge thickness can vary. Such as 16 gauge from one source may be a different thickness than 16 gauge from a different source. If you are checking an existing member, it may be a good idea to measure it's actual thickness then calc it's properties.

Thank for the Input. I found the answer!

y=r*(1-cos(gamma))+t/2+((c*sin(gamma))/2)=.202

where c is the length of the lip

AISI has a software for free download that allows you to calculate the gross and effective section properties. This program is based on MathCad. This can be easily downloaded from the AISI web site

Dear Folks

On-line design of the Light-Gage /Cold-Formed steel using "1996 AISI Design Specifications" are now avilable on my web page including C-Section propertie, effective sectional properties, shear capacities, web-cripppling capacites, determinations of safety fators, screw connection capacities and 2D Plane frame Analysis.

Link:
Thanks

Hi!

On-line design of the Light-Gage /Cold-Formed steel using "1996 AISI Design Specifications" are now avilable on my web page including C-Section propertie, effective sectional properties, shear capacities, web-cripppling capacites, determinations of safety fators, screw connection capacities and 2D Plane frame Analysis.

Link:
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back