Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Collapse 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
...from the BBC, "At least one person has died after a stage collapsed in Toronto ahead of a Radiohead concert.

Three others were injured, one seriously, in the incident at Downsview Park, medics told CBC News."

A few more photographs here...

Anyone heard any clues yet on what the failure mechanism might have been?

I am just arm-chairing of course but to me it looks like a very large span and a lot of weight for the amount of structural material involved. Also I don't see much in the way of hard points for primary load transfer between the supports and the main span. This means that loads must be carefully distributed. A very efficient structure. I'm guessing that the space frame spanning over the stage is on a track and is raised with cables. It looked like the failure began on stage left.

I'm sure these systems work very well on paper but I suspect that they are highly dependent on proper component alignment and base stability. Internal forces induced by small component misalignment and support displacement could be very high and wouldn't be distributed well in such a sparse aluminum structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back