Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Column Effective Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunshineTown

Structural
Oct 22, 2019
AU
This might be a discussed question in this forum but I really have problem understanding the effective length so please forgive me for asking :)

I am confused by how to define translation restraint for columns. Does this restraint need to be directly on column ends or can I rely beams that connects to column to bring translation restraint from far ends.
I have uploaded a pic together with a screenshot of standard regarding effective length. My question is how much the effective length in X direction is gonna be for the column in red? As I have bracing at void ends, can I reply beams B1 to bring the translation restraint in X direction from bracing for column in red so the effective length of column will be 3 meter or do I need to take a full length which is 9*2.2(sway) meters as the effective length in X direction?

What if I introduce a transfer beam to terminate the column as shown in section A-A option 2? How much is the effective length is gonna be for that red column in X direction then? Thank you.

effective_length_imf2ys.png

1223_xwgus7.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

- it appears that each beam passing continuously through your column will constitute its brace points and define its effective length(s).

- the lateral stiffness of each beam used as column bracing ought to be assessed.

- at a minimum, you'll probably want your uppermost beam to be continuous and serve as a brace point.

@KootK, Thanks for your help. So if I choose the uppermost beam to be continuous over red column, what effective length will it be for the red column in X direction then? ( I can't make the beams to be continuous on 1st and 2nd floor because otherwise it will be option 2). For a simplified method without running buckling analysis, how much lateral stiffness of the beam should be if treated as translation restraint for column in X direction?

You're most welcome.

kL=9m. AISC manual has an appendix dealing with brace stiffness. I recommend using that procedure. Also consider P-delta effects if your column axial loads are significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back