Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Common safety valve silencers

Status
Not open for further replies.

athomas236

Mechanical
Jul 1, 2002
GB
For years I have always taken it as read that each safety valve should have its own silencer. But these days there seems to be a trend towards routing several safety valve vents to a common silencer. Even those from the drum and superheater outlets.

Does anyone have opinions on this trend.

Regards,

athomas236

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

atthomas,

Talk with some of the silencer vendors and tell us what they say...

Try these people first.....

I do not think it can be done.....silencers are designed, built and certified to reduce noise to a certified level AT A PARTICULAR FLOW !!!

You are asking for a device that would operate at a multiple of flow rates...

My opinion only

MJC

Silencers are sized for specific flow, p, t and dp. Although commonly combined on power plants, concern is overpressurizing the safety valve outlet, thereby changing the characteristics of the safety relief valve. Can be overcome by proper line sizing.

Actual functional concern is if one line has a leaking valve, then line will fill with condensate (drains commonly clog). In a safety blow situation or if connected to a start-up vent, then you are slugging that water column at high velocity up into the silencer. Either over-size drains or keep as individual.

It is possible to feed different flows into one silencer, even at simultaneous flow and different inlet pressure.
This can be achieved with diffuser pipes.

diffuser pipe
prod05.jpg

collecting pipe
prod06.jpg

silencer with two inlet diffuser pipes
acc12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back