Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Comparing two products with the same part number

Status
Not open for further replies.

happystamps

Automotive
Mar 28, 2013
GB
Morning all... In my line, we deal with a lot of upissued parts from auto manufacturers, and we have to overlay the old and new revisions in order to ascertain the changes. Normally the part number won't change- just the revision.

Now, when I do this, I normally do new product, then insert new component(s). Problem is, with Catia (V5R18) I can only ever have one model with the same part number open at once. If I add them one at a time the first one opens, then I add the second and "oops, you don't want to look at that... Let me open the first file, again. Then you don't have to worry about re-quoting anything, since you won't see any changes- you're welcome,user" Frustrating!

I normally get around it by saving one or both as a STP or IGS file on my desktop, then doing an overlay- but surely there's a better way than that?

Thanks in advance.... Whether you lot know how to do it properly, or just agree with me that it's a right old faff :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What I typically do with that is temporarily edit the Part Number (frequently the filename also) so I can insert both into a product.

There is a good reason for this, since it helps prevent accidentally overwriting one part file with another. Since you have this problem, I would assume you aren't using some form of PDM software to manage your CAD files. Since auto OEMs now take configuration management and quality assurance quite seriously, I'm a bit surprised that as a supplier you have a data management process that would permit this situation to exist.

I get around this in two ways.
When using Teamcenter, there is a Load for Compare in CATIA V5 option, so you can have 2 versions open at once.
If you are not using TCe, you can use the Tools | Generate a CATPart from Product command, which will create a dumb part.
Then you can create a Product to compare them.

tbuelna- Yes, it's a pretty poor state of affairs and I'd love to change it- but I'm not in charge of the money. It drives me mad to be honest.
toyayo- I think this is probably the way to go at the moment, thank you very much!

Cheers all

Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back