Compass question excel 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhn1611

Marine/Ocean
Jun 9, 2023
FR
Hello,

I came across a previous thread on here which had a very helpful formula to calculate the difference between 2 headings using the MOD function

I work on a vessel and we always have a reference heading of a piece of equipment on the seabead called the 'datum bore heading'.

Now throughout this job we effectively work in a square and the datum bore will always be. FWD, STBD, AFT or PORT in relation to vessel heading

Im trying to wirte a formula where I imput vessel heading and datum bore heading and it tells me FWD, STBD, AFT or PORT

Now FWD and AFT are I can manage. If the difference between two headings is 45 or less then its FWD. if its greater than 135 its AFT

Between 45 or 135 is PORT or STBD depending on which way vessel turns. If vessel turns clockwise on compass then bore heading on PORT and and if anticlockwise its STBD

Anyone know how to write such a thing on excel?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

But Abs will give the same result for +90 and -90, which isn't right.

You could use Mod to reduce the length of the table though:

Bearings2_jyk9fy.jpg

If you must, you could incorporate the Mod in a function without using a table, which is what denial did.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

IDS... your last approach is the most elegant and clear. Actually denials is the most elegant... my apologies.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

But Abs will give the same result for +90 and -90, which isn't right.

As I understand it, it's only necessary to have the angle between the reference and the ship's heading, which is always a positive between zero and 360 degrees. Port would be an angle from 45 and 135 degrees and starboard would be from 225 to 315 degrees.

BridgeSmith said:
As I understand it, it's only necessary to have the angle between the reference and the ship's heading, which is always a positive between zero and 360 degrees. Port would be an angle from 45 and 135 degrees and starboard would be from 225 to 315 degrees.

For instance, if Bore = 350 and Heading = 40 then head-bore = -310, which is Port, but 310 is FWD/Fore
Edit: 310 gives STBD

Doug Jenkins

IDS, the angle between the two will always be a positive number, moving clockwise from one to the other. I just wasn't sure what to subtract from what to have it be correct for Port and Starboard.

From one to the other is fine as long as they are interchangeable.

However, the actual ship heading and the reference heading are not interchangeable.

If the ship heading is 0 and the reference is any number then (ship heading) - (reference heading) is negative unless the reference heading is also 0.

Is that sort of like airspeed and groundspeed with aircraft?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

3DDave, they are not interchangeable, but a heading relative to any reference direction is always a positive number of degrees between 0 and 360, measured clockwise from the reference vector.

BridgeSmith said:
they are not interchangeable, but a heading relative to any reference direction is always a positive number of degrees between 0 and 360, measured clockwise from the reference vector.

But the OP asks for the difference between two headings, which will not always be positive. If the difference is negative you need to add 360, not change the sign.

Doug Jenkins

But the OP asks for the difference between two headings, which will not always be positive.

Yes, it is always positive - it's measured moving clockwise from the reference to the heading. There is no such thing as a -90 heading; 90 degrees counterclockwise is 270 degrees.

Oops, I see what you're saying now. I may have to rethink this. It doesn't work when the 360/zero mark is between the reference and the heading.

Ok, I had to think about it for a minute, and I think I have a solution that will get the angle correctly. To get the angle from reference(R) to heading (H), I think it requires an if statement like this --> IF(R>H,360-R+H,H-R)

So this boils down to a frame of reference transformation.

Vessel heading and true bearing to target are both Earth frame of reference. Fore, Aft, Starboard, Port are vessel frame of reference (relative bearing to target (reduced to four cardinal directions)).

Vessel heading 0
True Bearing to target 90
90 - 0 = 90 Target is 90 degrees clockwise from the vessel's bow, i.e. to the vessel's Starboard side.

Vessel heading 180
90 - 180 = -90 Target is 90 degrees CCW (270 degrees CW) from the vessel's bow, i.e. to the vessel's Port side.

Vessel heading 270
90 - 270 = -180 Target is 180 degrees (CW or CCW) from the bow, i.e. to the vessel's aft.

Etc.

To get this sign convention: MOD(Vessel_Heading - True_Bearing_To_Target,360)

From there, I still vote for a lookup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back