Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complex curve problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulcanelli

Industrial
Nov 30, 2007
US
I am stuck on this project. I can post a reference photo of an existing part but the resolution is not so great so I attached the part itself. The part is a thin guage sheet metal disk with a series of radial waves of which I modeling a 45 deg arc to work this problem out. Around the edge is another pattern of waves which blend into the primary radial waves. This is where I am stuck. My idea is to make one segment and then pattern it as a feature. However just making the one has proved problematic. These peripheral waves go above and below the radial waves and must follow the contour of the radial waves and blend with them. I am doing this as surfaces so I can see more clearly how they blend which so far is not so good. You can see from the feature tree what I have done. Derive a curve to follow the radial wave by the intersection of two surfaces then sweep a profile along that curve. But it doesn't blend with the waves. I would greatly appreciate any ideas on this. Hope this makes a some sense. I have been using SE for ten years and am running V20. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

you've forgotten to tell that the file was created by using
an academic copy of SE -- only an academic copy of SE is
able to open it.

dy

Oh, shoot, sorry about that. I forgot I was still using that. Will see if I can get it to a full license then repost this thread.

If you want input from non V20 users you could post a screen shot.

Without too much thought...

I'd be tempted to consider modelling the main part as a revolved protrusion. Id then model one of the radialish 'webs' with a swept or lofted feature, maybe 2, one for above and one for below. I'd then pattern it.

Remember KISS, (which based on your description you seem to be doing anyway).

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back