Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Complicated Shape - Help! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yensid

Computer
May 21, 2012
US
I have two issues:

1) I cannot get the mesh-like shape to FLEX a complete 360 degrees (leaving a small gap as shown below).

2) Perhaps because of issue #1, I cannot get the second step to work. The mesh-like shape that has a revolve (shown in blue) that I am trying to form to. In other words, I want the mesh-like shape to take on the form of the revolve. I have used the FLEX feature with no luck (although was successful with a less drastic "flare" shape, so I think it might be possible. Anyhow, I'm stuck and need help...please!

Attached is a file (SolidWorks 2012)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try a different approach;

Extrude a slit cylinder (this will become the mesh) using the Sheet Metal Base Flange/Tab. Place the axis on the origin.
Unfold
Cut the mesh shape
Fold
Add the Revolve

After I create a cylinder and cut the mesh shape out of it...how am I supposed to "bend" it so it takes on the form of the revolve?

Thank you for the replies...the radial pattern idea would seem to fix the issue of me not being able to close the 360 degree geometry. However, I have only shown a small portion of the mesh like geometry. There are other features (not shown) that may be difficult to complete using this method...I will give it a shot.

Anyone have any ideas on then getting the mesh like geometry into the shape of the revolve???

Okay...so I got things to work (sort of)

1) I needed to go back and recreate the part using circular revolve. That allowed me to get the part to fully close at 360 degrees.

2) Once I did that, the flex feature allowed me to bend the part without errors popping up.

Only issue that remains (and is there because I am "faking" the bends using the flex feature) is that the part features distort and become flattened out. I wonder if there is a way to keep the original thickness of the part while using the flex feature.

Thanks for the help everyone.

rstupplebeen: are you able to "bend" the stent geometry you submitted into the shape of the revolve that I have provided?

Well, your JPEG image looks like YOU are able to get it to work. I guess I don't have the knowledge. Could you explain to me how you did that?

Please see the attached file. Here is a running list of operations.
1. create an axis of revolution
2. sketch your inner shape
3. revolve #2
4. offset #3 outwards to the desired stent thickness
5. draw the desired stent shape (this may be many steps to get the exact shape you need) in this example I just did 1 sketch
6. project #6 onto #3 using a split line
7. with the newly created edge from #6 create a ruled surface outwards thicker than the desired stent
8. extend the inside edge of #7 so that the next step creates solids that extend past #3 and #4
9. thicken #8
10. split #8 with #3 and #4 to get the desired thickness.
11. mirror
12. pattern
13. combine to 1 solid
I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back