Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Composites Workbench - Anyone using

Status
Not open for further replies.

wes616

Aerospace
Mar 19, 2005
US
Is there anyone using the Composites workbench? I'm interested in finding some training, but can't find any pre-canned classes online. I imagine we could get a custom class, but I thought I might see if anyone using it has any suggestions.

Again, I can find plenty of Fibersim training courses, but none on the catia training workbench.... I'll admit that I have done only cursory google searches though.

Thanks for your help & time...

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guess I should have said, we are in California, USA, but can probablly travel (US only) for the class if you know of any.

Wes C.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

whoo
Well i do not know any class i am europa based, and gone visit san franciso in dec .
They also offered me a job in san diego ,but no thanks i europa

Did you just buy the license and then you are looking for services?

We are currently looking at both FiberSim and CATIA composite solutions and training is part of the PROJECT…

DS/IBM can provide us with training here in Canada... I am sure they will be happy ($$$) to come and visit you.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Hi Eric,

No, we've had a liscense for a couple of years, but only one guy knows how to really use it.

Wes C.

We have been using it for many years.

CPD really usefull training is customised, but if you just need an "eye-opener" DS will oblige. From experience, these tend to be a bit vague and disconnected from reality.

The reason for this is that there are 3 main approaches to composite design and the "canned" courses, like fast food, target all sorts of tastes.

The complexity of your components and technology available to "lay" them, determines if you need an advanced and highly customised training course.

What do you design/make?

We make prototype and proof of concept aircraft (as well as other various composite structures) - however, we are just getting in to Very Low Run production.

Wes C.

WES616,

From the information provided I will assume all the following statements are true:

-you only do manual lay-up

-your sizing is by trial and error (no stress input to CPD)

-you only want CPD to define ply flat patterns and calculate predicted mass.

in that case DS will have available a SOLID BASED CPD course that suits your process.

However, if your process is more elaborate, that course will not be enough.

Rgs

Rgs,

All correct statments. I'll search on the DS site for training.

Wes C.

Well, sorry I was running out of the office. One facet of your statement was in err; please allow me to correct myself. We have several composites design/sizing packages, integrated with our FEA to do sizing of our structures, but the layups are manually entered several times, and it would be great to not have to do this in multiple programs.

Additionally, we do quite a bit of filament winding, but I'm not sure how CPD deals with this process. Since I am not part of that department, I don't even know the right questions to ask.

Additionally, I believe that there is some future consideration in the near term to purchase a ply cutting machine as a customer requirement for a program we have bid (if we are awarded the program).

I will search the DS site though. Thanks for your help again. If you have any further suggestions, they'd be much appreciated.

Wes C.

wes,

Since you have FEA/FEM code to size your components you do need to pass on the material, orientation and thickness law to CPD. It is possible, using a slightly more complicated CPD capability: GRID.
Thats when the virtual ply manipulation "black art" starts; generally using highly customised code within V5.

No fil.winding capability yet in CPD, which is a major flaw in the product; if enough companies demonstrate an interest in FW, DS will oblige I am sure.

It will be a huge technological leap to your company to be able to convey ply data from V5 to an Auto Tape Layer. But you have to start somehow: get CPD GRID training, either from DS or from your "customer", if you win the bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back