Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

compression spring design proof 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmetzger

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2004
US
We are currently working on establishing proof for the design of a number of compression springs. We've done the lab testing to get output results but management is also looking for analytical data to support the findings (does the engineering match the product kinda stuff). Ergo - I'm looking for a good compression spring calculator to help proof this (and save me from many hand calcs). Knowns are wire dia and matl, all dimensions, and a load at working height.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Added to the calculations of the force at the deflection you need to check the stresses. More than that you have to carefully check for fatigue if the spring is loaded and unloaded periodically, you have to check for relaxation if the spring is under constant load for long period of time. Check for spring force manufacturing tolerances which are ususlly within +/-10% so the lab testing results may not be sufficient.

rmetzger,

My machine design textbook from collge has a whole section on spring design. This ought to be a feature of all machine design books, right?

Design of Machine Elements -- Fourth Edition
Virgil M. Faires
MacMillan

Second hand copies of this are available all over the place.

There is a Spring Design Manual published by SAE. The Belleville spring equations are not quite identical to the ones in Roark's 5th Edition. I have not looked at their helical spring calculations.

If you set all this stuff up in a spreadsheet, you can punch in the charactersistics of springs from catalogues like Associated Spring SPEC. The numbers should work.

JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back