Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Performance Comparison - FEA 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfman

Mechanical
Oct 21, 2003
US
I have just received a reassignment in my company and my new focus will be FEA analysis using several different FEA packages, including ANSYS and Vector Fields. In addition, I will be doing most of my modeling in Solidworks. I need to get a new computer – preferably a laptop, and am trying to put together validation for what I would like to acquire for my new system. Does anyone know of good benchmark studies that have been done on new systems/configurations? I am trying to justify large amounts of RAM and a 64 bit processor, but need some good comparisons, studies, etc.

I will take tips and suggestions for desktops as well.

Thanks much in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yet another update. IT has won. They whittled me down till I am getting essentially the same thing everyone else is getting. However, the engineering manager has stepped up and we are thumbing out noses at IT and getting our own systems that will meet our needs. The only rub is that we will be loosing our connection to the network and internet on these machines. As such our floating licences will now be a huge issue for me - I am hoping to overcome this with a KVM and a Reverse KVM switch rigged such that others can use the new box as well as me. Really kind of sucks all things considered. If IS would just do the job they are hired to do... Oh well.

I will be spec'ing out a Dell Precision 690, XP64, 8GB RAM, I was hoping for two monitors, but where I will be having to rig a Reverse KVM, as far as I have been able to look, I have not found a Reverse KVM that will support two monitors. I am now thinking that maybe just a widescreen will get me the desktop space needed while making the KVM setup possible. Any ideas will be much appreciated?

The laptop is out, for sure.

cbrn,
Maybe I was out of luck with laptops. Used just for demos on customer site. I prefer to build my own rig and maximise it's performance. And don't forget he wants to use Solidworks also. No chance with a laptop. I still consider the laptop a fancy toy for a serious engineer.

rtmpxr said:
And don't forget he wants to use Solidworks also. No chance with a laptop.

Solidworks works for me just fine on my laptop. It runs the same problems about 10% slower than my custom built desktop. I prefer the desktop for the real keyboard and display, but prefer to not lug those around when I travel. Guess I'm just not as hard core of a user as some others... Can't say that I've seen anyone checking in a desktop at the airport though.

jt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back