Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer turns off without warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

hidde

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2007
NL
Help...!

I have the following hardware:

650W power supply (spire 650w)
AMD Athlon-64 X2 5000 AM2 Box
4gb DDR2 PC6400 memory
WD SATA Raptor 74GB 10.000rpm
ATI Fire GL V7200 256 MB PCI3 Card (driver 6.14.10.6392)
Mobo ASUS M2N-SLI deluxe (we had MSI K9N platinum, we changed but it did not matter it seems)
19gb swap (d:\)

Software:

Windows XP Prof. 64bit UK
Solidworks 2007 sp2.2 32bit (we lost the 64bit dvd :(, but it should not be a problem according to the solidworks resellers)

Problem:

The computer shuts down without warning and is not restarting when solidworks is running idle or when i use it. Our electrical installation is ok. The processor is running idle. This happens a few times per day.

I really dont know whats wrong :(

pls help me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thank you for the reply! But i checked the power options and everything is configured that the computer is always running, only the monitor swiches of after 20 min.

Could be any number of things. First things that come to mind are: Windows power management settings are not set right, i.e. it's going into a standby/hibernation state when idle for a certain period of time. Your motherboard/PSU is going into a thermal shutdown due to excessive heat build up or bad sensor in/on either of them. You did say you changed out the board, any chance you can swap out the PSU? I know it's weird but I have seen bad CPU's cause this exact same thing, again any chance you can swap it out temporarily to see if that addresses the issue?

But based on what you've done and are describing it sounds like it's hardware related.

That's the quick off the top of my head thoughts, if I think of anything more I'll post back.

Kevin Carpenter
CAD Systems Administrator
Invacare Corp.

Cleaning the heat sinks would be strange, the computer is 2 weeks old, but thanks for the advise. Asus probe senses a normal cpu temperture.

I agree with kcarpenter about the power supply.
Make sure that the power opptions are set to standby never, and hibernation never.

i checked > right mouse button > properties > screen saver > power : power schemes, always on -- turn off monitor, after 20 min -- turn off hard disks, never -- system standby, never.

When I had my computer on the floor it was sometimes shutting down for no apparent reason, and after a few times I suddenly discovered I was bumping into the switch with my leg. I have also hit the plug at the wall with my foot and loosened it just enough to sometimes shut down.

I'm guessing it's one of two issues:
1) Windows 64-bit--probably a driver/hardware conflict issue

2) A few years ago I was getting restarts and freezes in my old system, particularly after the monitor shut off while I was away (after screen saver timed out). The issue turned out to be a bad motherboard (yes, it was new and had this fault since the computer was new). Once that was replaced, the problem evaporated. It took a bit of trouble-shooting with tech support to isolate the problem to the motherboard.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Do you have anything plugged into the USB ports. If you get a short accross a USB port most motherboads will sense this and shut down. Some, particularly Dell's, will fry.

What are you're fan speeds in the bios?

thanks for the replies, i will check monday for the bios fan speeds. Is it nessecary that all fans are conected to the asus motherboard (like case fan etc.) ?

hidde

make sure you have proper grounding for both your PC and network components (switches, etc). Just run a wire to the water pipes to test it. Saw several 'problem PCs' with problems like that perform flawless with fixed grounding.

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer

I would gather a bad power supply. Yes its a new computer, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be a bad one.

If you can switch out the power supply with one like it and see if that fixes the problem.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Thanks for the replies. Only the cpu fan is monitored, the casefan is attached to the powersupply. The bios is passive cooled with heatpipes. I switched the cordless mouse to a mx500 logitech cord mouse... the computer is running for 8 hours straight :D ... let us hope it will continue working...

hidde

Wow...wouldn't have guessed that would cause your problems. Maybe you could check the drivers for you're wireless mouse and update them if needed and try it again. Or maybe a different USB port. I suppose it's possible your mouse is defective or at least base/reciever is.

In any case glad to see you're stable once again.

Kevin Carpenter
CAD Systems Administrator
Invacare Corp.

I guessed it was a USB short because it was a problem for us at one time. We created a USB cable that created a short accross two pins when you inserted it or pulled it out accross this custom 8 pin array on a handheld device. The second this short occured on the USB port the computer either went dead cold or smoked. Most motherboards will detect this short and turn off, but there were certain dell ones in house here that fried. Hidde, your complete shutdown with no blue screen of death indicated a short. If it happens again without this problematic usb cordless mouse attached I would follow the others advice and start debugging the power supply for ground faults.

RFUS

Whatever it's worth, I've had trouble with powered USB hubs in the past. Purchased three, with only the third functioning (the second one popped and smoked as soon as I plugged it in--fortunately without damage to my system). As rfus suggested, this might be a good place to start looking in case of problems. Thanks!

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back