Concealed Spaces Not Requiring Sprinkler Protection 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJP-21

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2020
US
Hello,

Am i still required to provide sprinklers on Top of the insulation? (6" R-19 Batt Insulation)
These are wood trusses 24" on center

Im confused if this section apply to the design of the concealed space that i have here
8.15.1.2.1* Concealed spaces of noncombustible and limited combustible construction with minimal combustible
loading having no access shall not require sprinkler protection.

EngTips_ffr9g5.png

Im already providing the area below the insulation with exposed upright heads protecting light hazard worship area.
I designed it in compliance with 8.6.4.1.3 Peaked Roofs and Ceilings.

Thank you

(all sections that i referenced is from NFPA 13 - 2013)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are talking the area above the ziggy lines, my answer is Yes

It is not non combustible

It is not limited combustible

The access question is questionable

Thanks cdafd,

There will be no access on these concealed spaces,

One of their purpose for the concealed space is ridge vent coming from the eaves

I am also confirming this is the architect and client because based on their occupant load,
they have a total of 289 persons and as per IBC 903.2.1.3, sprinklers will not be required as occupancy is under 300.

Occupant load is not the only factor per 2018 IBC Section 903.2.1.3. If the building fire area is > 12,000 square feet or this Assembly occupancy is above the grade plane, automatic sprinkler protection required. I'm assumed that was considered by the architect.

Be sure you follow the criteria for steeply pitched concealed spaces. You are going to be doing 8' on center through the trusses or 20 psi EHP if you go 10' on center.

Travis Mack, SET, CWBSP, RME-G, CFPS
MFP Design, a Ferguson Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back