Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concentrated Loads on Composite Slab-on-Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kareng

Structural
Nov 21, 2006
US
Hi all,

I have an existing 3" steel composite deck with 4" concrete (7" total) then an additional 3.5" concrete topping, 1.5" setting bed and 4" of pavers that is an exterior plaza over a parking garage. The deck is supported by steel beams 9'-0" o.c. with shear studs, and there is no reinforcement in the slab. (There is likely WWF but who knows where in the depth) I need to calculate the allowable concentrated wheel load on the plaza for large trucks, forklifts and other equipment to be driven on top. I've determined that the beams and connections do not control - the slab does. I'm using the SDI procedure published in the 1997 Composite Deck Design Handbook to calculate the capacity of the deck. This procedure uses PL/4 to calculate moment on the slab due to the concentrated load. I have a few questions:

1. Is it viable to distribute the wheel load in the direction of the span at a 45 degree angle through the pavers/setting bed/topping to get a short distributed load instead? This lowers my moment and gives a bit more capacity, but since the procedure includes a topping I'm wondering if it's already incorporated. I'd ask SDI but they are apparently closed for the week!

2. I am planning to use a dynamic load factor of 1.2 for the moving vehicles, but I haven't found a lot of information to back this up. ASCE has 1.2 for machinery, AASHTO 1.3 for bridges. Is there a dynamic load factor for slow-moving vehicles?

3. Does anyone know of any other good references that can be used for this calculation?

Thanks!
KarenG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yep the Canam Deck example is the same as the SDI procedure. Some good references on this page though. Thanks~ Unfortunately not temporary. They want to know what they can drive out there without shoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back