Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Concrete demolition/modification with minimal impact or vibration? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joreilly86

Structural
Mar 18, 2014
CA
I need to make a very large trapezoidal cut out in an existing concrete gravity wall. The wall is mostly submerged, it could potentially be isolated to allow work in the dry.

The thickness at the top is 5ft and as you move down the wall, the maximum thickness I need to cut through is around 8-10 ft. I'm familiar with perforated stitch drilling and coring through walls and slabs but I've never seen this carried out on such a thick structure. Unnecessary impact and vibration are a concern due to the age, condition and importance of the existing gravity wall. The wall is reinforced with skin reinforcement of 25mm bars at 300 spacing each way.
We are trying to do this as fast as possible due to the requirement of shutting down an active hydropower plant, bonus points for minimal disruption to ongoing power production. The overall perimeter length of the cut is around 75ft.

I know I'm asking for the world here, Anyone have any ideas or familiar with applicable solutions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hydrodemolition? High speed water cutting?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

maybe better, yet... thanks

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

I have worked with some tunnel guys, and they prefer Dexpan expansive demo grout for massive concrete and rock demo.
Impressive stuff. Dexpan is the Kleenex, but there are many similar products.

Great suggestions. The diamond wire drill is the most surgical option and that's where I was leaning but it will be a slow process as well as a challenge to rig up the equipment for lateral cutting underwater. The controlled demo is definitely the fastest but I'm worried about the potential for being blamed for future cracking/issues in the structure due to the blasts, even if we carry them out perfectly at the time. Will investigate Dexpan further. Great inputs folks, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back