Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Concrete Design reference book based on ACI 318 Metric

Status
Not open for further replies.

strucguy

Structural
Mar 20, 2007
IN
Anyone aware of reference book on Concrete Design based on ACI 318 Metric version. I am trained in US customary units but will be involved in a project that will use SI system of units. So, looking for some examples in metric version to get confortable with the units. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are comfortable in imperial than use imperial and convert at the end. Oddly enough I run all of my loads in imperial and then do all of the design of each member in metric.

PCA offers an excellent concrete design handbook available in metric. Here's a link to the imperial version: Link.

When you're going back and forth between units, keep an eye on SQRT(f'c). It's often not dimensionally consistent. It's complicated a number of my favourite MathCAD worksheets.

The greatest trick that bond stress ever pulled was convincing the world it didn't exist.

KootK,

Any idea if they offer a similar book for concrete masonry? I looked on their website but didn't see one. Or does anyone have a recommendation for such? (Attempted thread highjack underway.)

I don't know of such a document Archie. If this thread catches ConcreteMasonry's eye, I'm sure that he'll be able to tell us.

The greatest trick that bond stress ever pulled was convincing the world it didn't exist.

It's a shame that there's not a way to direct a post to a particular member. I've always thought that would be a useful feature.

Kootk -

Thanks for the response. But, I couldn't find any mention of metric version of PCA notes on ACI 318 anywhere on Appreciate if you can provide like to the metric version you indicated earlier. Thanks.

- Strucguy

@ Strucguy: I have to apologize. I seem to have made the whole thing up. While 318 comes in metric, PCA notes does not. Sorry to have sent you on a wild goose chase with this. Perhaps all of my aspartame consumption over the years has resulted in early onset Alzheimer's.

318 is developed using US customary units. The metric version is strictly a numerical adaptation, which is where problems like a 25.4 mm tolerance (three significant digits) derived from the original 1 inch value (one significant digit), resulting in conveying a entirely different intent. They have been trying to capture the intent better in the recent adaptations.

The biggest issue will be conversion to the local formwork measures, concrete characteristics, and rebar sizes, grades, and characteristics. For instance, in some places, rebar grades (yield strengths) are middle of the normal distribution rather than the minimum yields used in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back