Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Floor Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

McManaman

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2003
HK
Hi,

I am a mechanical engineer. I would like to ask if I have a goods transporting on the concrete floor (the imposed loading = 7.5kPa), how do I know the slab will not be damaged? The dimension and weight of the goods is 3826mm(L) x 1512mm(W) x 2206mm(H) and 5503kg respectively.

Thanks a lot!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not exactly sure if you are asking about surface damage or structural, but I'll assume you mean surface.

Increasing the density of the concrete (see densicrete ) will certainly help, and there are also coatings ( see ) that will help a lot. I think that increasing the total density is better, since this also will improve the structural characteristics. In a perfect world you would do both.

Please note that I am not a structural engineer, and this is an opinion based on research and personal experience with concrete building materials while working with a qualified structural engineer to make sure I didn't kill myself. :)

Apologies in advance if I answered the wrong question.

Is this a slab on grade or a suspended slab? What is the 5500 kg load supported on? skids?, wheels? It's a little difficult to drag a 5500 kg (12K) 'box' across the floor.

I assume it's a slab on grade. If on grade, what is the sub-base like, how thick is the slab, any reinforcing, strength of concrete, age, and what is the overall construction of it?

If a suspended slab... need a lot more information, bay spacing, thickness, design loading, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back