Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Paving for Industrial Track

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgmotto

Structural
Mar 28, 2005
US
Does anyone know of a standard detail for poured in place concrete paving for tracks passing through a building? I have an industrial client that insists that the rails bear on a concrete slab with a cap slab flush with the top of rail.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The railroad serving your customer should have a standard plan. However, once you encase the rail in concrete maintenance becomes an issue as you need a jack hammer to expose the rail and fastenings. You may want to condiser a rubber flangeway filler that would pop in and out to allow track maintenance. There are also some full depth concrete tubs on the market that may solve your problem.

Thanks for the response. The rubber filler sounds like a good idea. I will look into it. However, I have not been able to locate a standard concrete slab detail from the railroad. If anyone has an example, I sure would appreciate it. My main concerns are thickness and reinforcing to support the track loading and the type and spacing of joints to prevent cracking.

The DOT of every state has approved track crossing details with concrete subgrade and bolted rubber pavement blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back