Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

concrete pier size for steel building 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

compcare

Computer
Feb 9, 2005
US
I'm looking to build a 80'x100' steel building with posts spaced every 20'. Can someone give me an approximate size of the pier footings required?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nope...

It depends on the soil capacities and make-up as well as the required loads (dead, live, wind, seismic) for your particular building.

What is the purpose of the building? There are standards tables for the loading depdending on uses. From there, the standards should be able to to help. What are the soil bearing capacities? What kind of earthwork will need to be done to prepare the site?

Lots of questions.

A question like this depends on many variables, and is difficult to answer online. But more important, it is in violation of Registration laws to answer this type of question online. It is like asking a doctor to diagnose an illness online.

I'll say 2' diameter piles.

Also take 2 aspirins and drink lots of liquids.

One of the nice things about these forums is we may speak openly. But there's alway a worry wort, with a legal disclaimer, always one.

Really, swine? What if the wind upift exceeds the dead load of the pile? I don't think this forum is to deprive professional engineers of their fees. I always give answers in line with that philosophy. Maybe you should quit your day job and do nothing but give out free answers on this Forum.

Hi FalsePrecision,

No one can give even half-way legitimate answers via only internet communications, if this were possible we would all be deprived of our fee, regardless of philosophy.

As to your question, the length of the pile must be long enough to prevent uplift. The only reason I wrote in is because the constant legal reminders, by yourself and many others, get in the way of communication on legitimate posts. Your response didn't add anything.

In more detail from the ASAE standards from
You will want to go to ASAE EP486 DEC92 Post and Pole Foundation Design to have your poles, footings, and piers designed.

Before doing that, you may want to go over ASAE EP282.1 DEC94 to cover Diaphram Design of Metal-Clad, Post-Frame Rectangular Buildings, and ASAE EP2885 EP 288.5 DEC92 Agricultural Building Snow and WInd Loads.

Also note, these standards may have been updated since my current copy here at home is 1995. I doubt much has changed, they tend only to add new areas rather than revise old standards.

Swine, I really didn't want to add anything to this post. My intent was to recommend hiring a local engineer. This forum works best when one structural engineer is asking another for advice, such as how to handle a confusing Code issue.
If I had a legal question, I would hire a lawyer, not troll for free advice in a lawyer forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back