Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mauleflyer

Structural
Jan 25, 2008
US
What are the engineers using for concrete design software? I need both column, beam, and two way slab design software and intergration into one model. I am familiar with Ram Concrete and Ram Concept and I am happy with this combination but apparently it is not used much outside of the US, particularly in the UAE. I am leaning towards ETABS and SAFE but I would like to hear what the opinions are for this and other software.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm an Australian engineer and my office is using Rapt, which is a widely acclaimed design package in this country...It doesn't intergrate the building into one model, but I believe the developers are working on a Revit link for future releases.

I'm a relativley inexperienced engineer but I have found that simplifying the structure into 2D analysis helps engineer understand on how the structure behaves in terms of following through load paths...and the model is less likely to develop an instability thorugh incorrect modelling. However three dimensional analyses are important to obtain actions such as torsion in edge beams.

Are you presently working in the UAE.

Im Tanzanian and Im using Prokon, its good but it works with 2D calculations. Its a good program! try it.

Modeling structure is good for very experienced engineers, it not good at all for juniour engineers, you reduce your thinking. And you become like a computer programmer and not a thinking engineer.

Regards

Practicing engineering is hard than studying it!!!

I prefer to design concrete beams by hand. I use PCACol for columns.
I do use RAM Advanse for the analysis for beams (typically - obviously I wouldn't do this for a simple span beam, but for a retaining wall with a trapezoidal load I do), then just pull out the shears and moments and design by hand. I then also check deflection by hand (again if it isn't an unusual case).

RAPT, the Australian software suggested by asixth above, is the standard for Australia, and is available for the other major codes. It is for concrete analysis and design only, applies to slabs, beams, etc. and to reinforced and full or partial tensioning. Good gear, produced by engineers who understand concrete.

Mauleflyer,

Yes, RAPT is approved for use in UAE. It is used by many consultants/PT companies there and also by companies in UK, Asia and Australia designing for UAE projects.

I completely agree with GodfreyMgwasa, modeling structures in three dimensions is not only for highly experienced structural engineers, but also for high end computer savvy folks who understand what the computer is doing to the forces on the structure, to cite only one aspect.

I think the best approach to computers and structural engineering is to first understand the problems in paper, pencil, code and calculator an then compare your paper and pencil results, and the computer output.

I agree w/ RareBug -
I think it goes without saying that we should be able to compute by hand before moving to a computer model - otherwise how can we have any idea what we are doing as far as imputting and using results? Of course there will be load situations that will be too tedious or difficult to do by hand so it's nice to be able to use FEM's or other.

As far as software goes, are you concerned about using RAM elsewhere because they are not used to seeing it or because it doesn't have the codes that you need? If you can design using a program that you are familiar with and that you trust, then that is the way to go.
I have been doing a lot of work in the middle east recently and we have used IBC 2006 for all of it so our software has been fine. I just recently reviewed some work by another engineer over there and found their computer printouts from ETABS to be pretty good. I don't know anything about using it though.

RareBug, Structures33,

I agree. If you can't prove what the software package is performing by hand, then you are a fake. That's why as a graduate, I spend a lot of time back-checking all computer outputs with manual calculations every time I use a design package until I am competent with that design package and know how to use it correctly. Software packages have the ability to drastically reduce the time spent on design but are only helpful if the engineer inputs the correct data.

Designing individual members (beams and columns) can be done either by using any stand alone spreadsheet, software or analysis/design packages that supports desired concrete design code. A logical prerequsite is that you must have confidence in the reliability of design results; something you will have only after you had checked sample results against hand calcultions.

There are seveal programs on the market each promising pretty much similar features. However in my opinion the bottom line is individual's comfort level and productivity with tools of choice. If you are comfortable, quick and accurate with certain programs then that's your niche. From my personal experience working in different continents where I have used different programs and attained comfort zones in each one of them.

Etabs and Safe can do the job, especially with Safe you have added value if floor system is irregular in shape or longer spans or situations where the traditional methods face limitations.

I have also used Robot Millenium for similiar situations and ofcourse variety of spreadsheet programs.

ETABS and SAFE are good for ACI Code. If you are looking for other countries like me in Canada, they havn't update the design requiremnts, so we have a hard time convincing CSI about the Code clauses. As in US engineers verify results and CSI corrects for it. I am having shear wall failures for the same seismic requiremnts for Canadian Code vs US. Although ETABS is an excellent software for concrete as well as steel, but if your code requiremnts are checked otherwise it's a blackbox. You can import your ETABS results in SAFE and design foundations and slabs. But for slabs you cannot think of pattern loading as for flat slab you can perform in ADOSS, but for foundations you can export ETABS results in SAFE and checked your foundations for number of seismic combinations.

As far as I know, there are some soft wares good at analyzing general concrete structures (ETABS, SAP, SAFE...). And it is important that each software is adapted with each structure.

I am quite familiar with ETABS, SAP and SAFE so I have some suggestions for you:

1) SAP: Good at analyzing general reinforced structures such as tank, building, some other structures.

2) SAFE: Good at analyzing reinforced floor, plate foundation;

3) ETABS: Especially good at analyzing building;

Conclusion, I can say that the soft. used depends on the concrete structure you want to analysis

I hope you have some ideas from here.

I also have a question about SHEAR WALL, Pu>0.35Po!

Could you kindly please finding some answer for me?

Thank a lot,

I don't do concrete but we use GTSRUDL and it has concrete design and analysis capabilities.

I use CSC Orion, a very powerful analysis design and drafting programme specifically for RC building structures. It provides a unique central 2D/3D modelling environment from which automatic analysis, design and drafting is derived for the engineer. Have a look of it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back