Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Condensate return quantity measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

baasi

Mechanical
Jul 14, 2016
PK
I need to measure the quantity of condensate return at boiler end but I do not have any flow meter installed on the condensate line. I do have steam flow meter, size of the condensate pipe. What could be the possible ways to quantify the condensate return? Help from experienced members is required.

I actually want to calculate that how much condensate is returning in the condensate tank and how much make up water would be required.

Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
Why don't you install a simple and cheap meter (wheel type like the one on tap water at home) on the make-up water and perform a mass balance over a significant period of time (24h) to get and average value on return condensate?
Pierre

I'd use a tip bucket, not anything attempting to function in a condensate flow.

A counter tells you every time the buck tips.

Less reliable is a condensate pump. A plastic shoe box that when filled to a certain level turns on a pump that drains it down until a float turns it back off. Again you time the number of cycles.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Thank you every one for your help. I actually tried a 1000 kg water tank to fill it up and calculated the time in parallel. That is how I measure condensate flow rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back