Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conductor sizing for underground raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenelec

Electrical
Mar 9, 2011
CA
I require 1200A current capacity from the secondary of the service transformer to the main distribution panel.

Originally looking at this table 3 from the CEC C22.1-09 was used and found that 3 750kcmil per phase could be run to supply 1200A. However it was pointed out to that because the raceway was underground it was required to use diagram B4-4 in appendix B (detail 3, 3 cables per phase) along with table D15A (appendix D). From this I realized that 3 750kcmil per phase would only allow for a current rating of 1032A, which would not meet the breaker size requirement in the MDP.

The two options explained to me now are to pull out the aluminum conductors and replace with copper (may be issues with bending radius and space/constructability at MDP, not to mention cost) or to change the size of the breaker.

I am new to the construction industry and have two questions. The first is how will downsizing the breaker to 1000A solve anything? If the load still requires 1200A won't this just trip the breaker anyways. How is it different than continuing to use the 1200A breaker? Is it just for protection of the cabling from the transformer to the breaker (ie, does not draw to much current and damage cable)?

My second question is a little more theoretical. Logically thinking about cable rating it would make sense (to me) that the current capacity for a conductor underground would be higher than that of a conductor in free air? The ground would be cooler so therefore dissipate heat more easily than in free air (normally warmer). Or does it have something to do with the heat not being able to go anywhere in the raceway causing damage more easily? I thought that tables 3 and D15A were counterintuitive, any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated. First post so go easy on me! Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi greenelec,

Regarding your first question I guess it would be a code violation if you are not able to protect the cable. If the load requires a 1200 A CB, as you said replacing the CB for a 1000 A will not work; maybe a closer look at the load list may justify changing the CB rating to a lower one.

About the second question there are many factors that affect the ampacity of underground cables. You mentioned the soil temperature, but also the capacity of the soil to "conduct" heat generated by the cable is important, this is known as the "Soil Thermal Resistivity" RHO (or Conductivity depending on the unist it's meassured). The separation between cables and cable insulation rating (75, 90, 105°C).

Not all U/G installations are the same, ampacity of direct buried cables differs from cables installed in duct banks. I do not have the CEC handy right now so I don't know exactly how your cable is being installed.

An important factor you have to take into account is that CEC tables are for a specific Soil Thermal Resistivity (RHO) and soil temperature which may differ from your installation.

The CEC uses the Neher-McGrath method to calculate ampacities. The IEEE Std 835 provides additional configurations for different types of cable that may suit your design and help you make a decision.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back