Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confined space entry- manhole tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

plastcc

Civil/Environmental
Sep 5, 2003
US
My question is regarding the use of the tripod system for manhole entry:

Is it acceptable to use the tripod as a primary means of accessing a vertical manhole or is it only meant as a backup safety device for retrieving an injured worker? A "CFR" or some other reference would be helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the response of the makers of these devices ?

In today's lawsuit-fearing marketplace, the vendor's must have places limits on thier usage...

-MJC

I've used them for going down as well as going up, both in non emergency situations. Don't know if that helps you at all...we might have had a second one on site for emergencies.

The issue is that the normal practice is to use the tripods as a means of access. I just want to know if this is an allowable practice. I'm trying to design a drop manhole in limited space and my constraints are such that a ladder cannot be put in the manhole nor can steps or rungs be installed. If the tripod is an acceptable means of access then my design is done. If not; then I have more work to do.

I believe that the intent (course we took in confined space training) is that in the event a worker is disabled or passes out due to gases in the manhole/confined space, they can be quickly and safely taken out (in harness). The system (procedure) entails not only the tripod and lifting apparatus, but also adequate manpower, standby manpower and emergency contacts. If you are using the tripod for access only, then obviously it may be a issue with the authority commissioning the structure.

I have a major question. Is the confined space entry permit covered in the 30 hr OSHA training and what is the procedure to obtain a permit.

plastcc, be aware that hanging from a harness is only intended to be short term duration, the tripod sysytem must be used with a 'bosuns chair'. This will allow the bloodflow to the legs to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back