Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Conflict of Interest? Reference for Clients Contractor's License

Status
Not open for further replies.

azogr

Structural
Feb 21, 2007
US
Would it be considered a conflict of interest or in conflict with engineering ethics to allow a client to me as a reference for a Contractor's License in another state? The form appears to be set up for an individual but I am the only engineer in my company and the owner. I had initially agreed not thinking it would be a problem but maybe it is not as clear cut as I am thinking? I look forward to hearing your thoughts or if anyone has done this in the past.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Acting as a reference for licensing purposes, assuming you have personal knowledge of the individual's qualifications, does not present an ethical issue. It is only an ethical issue if you state something that is not true or about which you have no personal knowledge.

Thank you Ron, that is my understanding as well. In this case the license is for a company and not an individual but your advice still applies. I would definitely keep my statements true and limited to my personal knowledge. Thanks again.

Typically, if you're serving as a reference for somebody, you're either co-workers, or one of you has worked for the other in some capacity- so that's sort of expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back