Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting equipment and arrester to earthing mat 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

simatic7

Computer
Jun 24, 2009
AU
Hi all
I just have a question in the mind as I read in a book that arrester common (neutral) and equipment neutral should not be connected together ?
can anyone please give the reason why these two neutrals can not be connected together and what is the hazards during the lightning if they are connected together ?
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing to be avoided is connecting the arrester conductor to an equipment neutral or neutral grounding conductor ahead of the ground grid.
The impedance of a conductor as seen by the steep wave front of a lightning strike may be many times the simple resistance of the conductor. That impedance times a large current will produce a voltage difference in accordance with Ohm's law.
Should an equipment ground or a system neutral share a conductor with an arrester, the voltage drop between the grounded equipment and the ground grid caused by a high current surge, such as a lightning strike, may develop lethal voltages between grounded equipment surfaces and true ground.
A man standing on the ground beside a grounded piece of equipment that is sharing a conductor with an arrester may experience a lethal touch voltage. That is often a once in a lifetime experience.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Thanks Bill. It seems its a simple answer but to me its a great answer in a very clear and simplified way.
Thnaks a lot.
Simatic7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back