Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection between Column and Base Plate 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

azureblue83

Structural
Jan 26, 2015
US
Designing the connection between the column and the base plate. The column is modeled as pin connected at the base. The column is designed for primarily gravity load, but need to resist some shear due to lateral loads.

There are a lot of design guides out there about how to design the base plate and anchor bolt (AISC Design Guide #1 for example), but not much about the connection between the column and the base plate.

I want to simply just weld the column to the base plate, designing the weld size to resist the shear? But would that weld count as fix connecting the column to the base?

Should I use AISC Manual Part 10 regarding Simple Shear Connections? or is this redundant?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I see what you mean. Could you point me to the UofA paper Canwest? I could use a better understanding of the base metal check issue.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

AISC Code of Standard practice section 6.4.1 limits variation in length 1/16 in for members less than 30 ft long and 1/8 in for more than 30 ft long. This agrees with what Canwesteng said about not getting a substantial gap in AISC approved shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back