Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CONSTRAIN A LINE TO POINT IN SKETCHER?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadego

Automotive
Aug 24, 2004
AU
Hi All
I am trying to constrain a line to a point in sketcher with no success.
I can pick the line but it will not let me select the point.
Can someone please explain how to do it.
Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi John
I am using NX3 (customer requirement)
The point I am using is an intersection between a datum plane and curve. I have also tried projecting the point into the sketch to no avail.
Dave

Using NX 3.0.5.3 I created a Datum Plane, passed a Line through it and then created a Point at the interestion of the Datum and the Line. I then created a Sketch, created a Line and then constrained the Line to the Point. Note that the Point was not even on the same plane as the Sketch. Also note that I tried with with both a 'Smart' Point (Associative) and 'Dumb' Point (non-Associative), and it worked both times.

Now there is ONE special requirement IF you are creating 'Smart' (Associative) Points, and that is that since 'Smart' Points are actually 'Features', and therefore are 'timestamped', they must have been created BEFORE the Sketch. If they are created AFTER the Sketch, you will not even be able to select the point, let alone use it to constrain an object.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

Thanks John
That was it.
Being a full time Catia V5 user and part time NX, I keep forgeting that the order ALL things are created in NX matters.
Have a star.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back