Constrained displacement out of memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

rm2

Mechanical
Jun 7, 2005
MX
Hello,

I am trying to simulate the assembly of a bushing in a sleeve. I am basically fixing the sleeve and applying a prescribed displacement to the bushing.
Since I could not use a nice element (tet) I kind of tried to compensate it with the quantity of elements (around 4.5 M) but my computer can not finish the analysis (4 gigas), it states that is out of memory.
Tips, ideas, suggestions?
Does anyone has a good computer and can help me submitting the job if I send the cae file?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't use tets if you can help it, and use fewer elements. A picture of the model might be helpful if you can post it.

corus

rm2,
The picture of your model shows you have a very very fine mesh. How many degrees of freedom do you have? What is the problem you are trying to solve? If you are trying to find the stresses due to interference, you do not really need that fine a mesh.

Gurmeet

Thanks all for your advice.

I have 1 degree of freedom. The stress due to interference is part of what I am looking for, I will like to insert it by steps (advance a little and see the force, then little more and more), I want to measure the reaction forces of contact. I want to compare the results with the assembly plot from the press at the manufacturing process. I am pretty sure that I will see some differences and will like to be able to explain these differences.

I am new using abaqus, is it possible you can tell me how I can remesh the parts; I am having issues to remesh with the default settings. I guess is a matter of going to mesh property and increase the element size, I will keep trying today, I insist am new but seems this software is awesome…

Is abaqus capable of simulating this assembly putting some grease to the bushing? The way I see is it, is as a fluid between to rigid bodies, maybe as spheres of rigid material, maybe abaqus has a slide joint, it will be nice to see the mechanical or dynamic effect…

For reference let me tell you the dimensions from the components. The sleeve of steel, the bushing is Al.

The drawing for the sleeve has a diameter of 69.044 +/- 0.015 mm
The diameter of the bushing is of 69 +0.114 0.081. Later I will upload a photo from the drawings.

After this simulation I will like to do a very similar thing assembling this same bushing with another part (aluminum body). The body has a diameter of 68.998 +/- 0.012.

Just want to start using abaqus the correct way…

Thanks for your help

Thought I finished but not, I just think that for the interference I have, it is a very low stress.

Can someone please help me, I check during the whole displacement and the Mises stress does not increase for more than a couple of MPa shown.

Any ideas of what might be the reason of these low stresses.

thanks

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=002ee01d-ac7b-4a14-ba03-97704afaec18&file=Stress_too_low.docx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back