Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constraint Validation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michel1978

Mechanical
Nov 12, 2008
NL
I often get this message when I am placing constraints in an assembly with parts obtained from a step file.
I can continue when hitting continue but it is annoying. How can I get rid of this?

Groeten, Michel

I use NX9.0.0.19
HP Z420 Intel Xeon 3.2GHz
Quadro K4000 3GB
64GB Memory
Windows 7, 64-bit

A leading Dutch institute in atomic and subatomic physics

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It appears that NX is seeing these new Components as having a 'Product Interface' defined in it. How that has occurred I can't really say, particularly if these are parts that you've just imported via STEP.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Sorry, what I meant was that it was EXPECTING a 'Product Interface'. I guess the question is, are you adding a Component to an Assembly which already contains the STEP-imported parts or is the Component itself that is being added, the file that was imported via STEP?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Just checked it. The component I add is the file that was imported via STEP. I wasn't aware of that myself. I thought it was the other way around.So there is nothing to do about it?

Groeten, Michel

I use NX9.0.0.19
Quadro K4000 3GB
64GB Memory
Windows 7, 64-bit

Michel,

You may want to consider looking at the customer defaults
"Assemblies, General, Product Interfaces, Assembly Constraints" and check to see if it is not set to "Allow Selection of Any Geometry" - such as "Restrict Selection to Only Product Interface Objects".

And, "Assemblies, General, Component Operations, Add Component, Positioning" is not set to "By Constraints".

That combination of those defaults might be contributing to the message getting displayed.

HTH,

Joe

The assembly constraints is set to "Encourage Use of Interface Objects" and the Add Component positioning is set to "By Constraints".

Do you mean that should set it to "Restrict Selection to Only Product Interface Objects"? But this setting only applies to new parts created by the model template. So I guess this will not have effect in my situation where the parts already exist.

Groeten, Michel

I use NX9.0.0.19
Quadro K4000 3GB
64GB Memory
Windows 7, 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back