Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact Abaqus Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.R

Bioengineer
Mar 29, 2023
IT
Hello everyone,
I am using Hypermesh in combination with Abaqus Standard and I am struggling with a problem that I don't know how to solve. I'll try to explain an example of what I want to do: after placing the red component inside the hole of the blue component, I need to bend it until it fits the hole perfectly. I was wondering if there was a way to create a step where I can force the red component to bend until it fits into the hole (see the attached image). After that, I need to create another step where I can release the red component which will return to its initial configuration. Any ideas?
Cattura_pme46e.jpg

Thank you very much in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this process performed somehow in real life ? If yes, you could model it in a similar way. But generally speaking, if you place the red part inside the blue one and enable contact, it’s just a matter of forcing the red part to deform properly. For example, using (thermal) expansion coefficient (or more of them if the expansion is supposed to be anisotropic).

Hi! Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is an example of what I need to do with the real models. The blue component should be a soft tissue and the red one a superelastic metal. So the idea is to reshape the blue component when the red one is released. But my problem is that I would like to bend the device automatically.... I mean, is there a possibility to force a group of nodes of the red component to move until they touch the surface of the hole?

Thank you in advance

As I said, you could try using an expansion coefficient to make the part fill an enclosed cavity. There’s no special feature for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back