Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contextual Menus always freezing up System

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxShiff

Aerospace
Apr 20, 2002
CA
I have CATIA V5R6 installed on my system:
Windows XP, Pentium III 450 MHz, 320 MB SDRAM (PC-100), Diamond Viper 32 MB TNTII Video Card.

Whenever I am in Part Design or Assembly Design, and I either right click a part on the screen, or a part in the tree, the contextual menu always pops up, and then starts shaking a little bit on screen. During this time, I cannot do anything else. The system is frozen......on checking the Processes running, by doing CTRL+ALT+DEL, it shows CTNEXT.EXE (or something close to that effect, I can't recall exactly) as taking up 100% of the resources, and I cannot do anything else. This remains like this for anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Then all of a sudden I get control back. This also happens when I click on a menu at the top of the screen....FILE, EDIT, VIEW, etc...

WHY does this happen? Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Any help would be appreciated....if possible, could you CC: any reply to maxshiff@hotmail.com? Thanks in advance...

Regards,

Max...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the main problem is your combinaison of V5R6 and Windows XP.

With Windows XP, you should at least use V5R7.
Personally, I use only Windows Nt & 2000 with CATIA V5R6,R7 and R8 and I think Windows XP is not ready for CATIA.

If you still want to use that combinaison of product, you should at least install the service pack of V5R6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back