Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Continuation Sheets on a Drawing 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Houdini

Aerospace
Jan 22, 2021
US
Good afternoon everyone! Hope everyone is well!

I have a question regarding what is allowed on a continuation page. Am I allowed to have a "General Notes Block" like I would have on the primary / first page? With that said, do all flag notes have to relate to the first page or can I have a note block on every page with their own set of unique flag notes? Could I also have a BOM on the secondary page relating to only whats on that specific page? I am having a hard time finding out what is allowed on a continuation page beside information regarding title blocks. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's mostly personal preference and company culture. Typically if there are enough notes (and I've seen this on J-size drawings) they can just force all the views off the first sheet and continue on sheet 2.

I believe flag notes should have unique numbers. The closest I have seen is on combined machine/casting drawings where 1, 2, 3... are used on the machined views / details and 1C, 2C, 3C ... are used on notes that are placed on the first sheet that describes the casting.

I think the advice from good writers applies - it's up to the writer to do their own work, not to force the reader to do the writer's work. In other words, the drawing should be as easily comprehensible with the minimum of confusing (preferably zero) elements.

If the BOM and related views are clearly labeled then it should be OK. One feature that helps is a sheet function block - an index on the first sheet that lists the general contents of the other sheets.

When I said company culture - there are some companies that allow no BOMs on the drawings at all. Some create separate documents, some require accessing a company database. I don't consider them "allowed" or not except against the background of what the user expects.

As for notes, depends on whether you are following ASME or not.
From ASME Y14.100-2013 ENGINEERING DRAWING PRACTICES:
General notes shall be located on sheet 1, or a reference shall be included on sheet 1 indicating note location... When notes are continued beyond a given drawing sheet, information to that effect shall be inserted in the next note position of the applicable sheet, e.g., "NOTES CONTINUED ON SHEET 4."
General notes apply to the entire drawing or associated list.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

edit: typo

This is all super helpful. Generally speaking my company tries to keep to ASME Y14 standards, but recently someone said specifically that BOMS and General Notes should be on the first sheet and all subsequent drawing sheets should reference the first sheet. I wasn't sure if that was a ASME Y14 standard or just a company standard.

"General notes shall be located on sheet 1, or a reference shall be included on sheet 1 indicating note location... When notes are continued beyond a given drawing sheet, information to that effect shall be inserted in the next note position of the applicable sheet, e.g., "NOTES CONTINUED ON SHEET 4."

I have been looking for something like this! My default reasoning for drafting or CAD work is that we go by ASME first, and then company standards second.

So just to recap, there is not mandatory standard limiting me to only the primary sheet for General Notes and a BOM. As long as I am clear about BOMS and General Notes relating to that specific view, then I am okay?

Harry Houdini,

I strongly prefer that the BOM be a separate document. The separate BOM works with each page of your assembly drawing. All sorts of necessary jobs can be done with the BOM alone, like purchasing and kitting. It is easy to export the BOM from your 3D[ ]CAD drawing, to Microsoft Excel.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back