Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

contoured chamfer milling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWonderer

Aerospace
Feb 3, 2011
GB
I am a new user of NX and would appreciate any assistance on chamfer milling. I have been browsing these forums for days now and trying various examples, but I am struggling to get NX to do what I could do easily in Edgecam.
I need to chamfer the front and back edges of a slot through a cylinder, so need a toolpath where the tool moves in Z as well as X and Y. The Z stroke isn't too big, so I don't want to use B axis moves - just move to the B axis position then chamfer the slot. I tried planar milling, but this doesn't allow Z movement. I tried numerous contouring toolpaths, but can't get a satisfactory result. I created a user defined tool with tracking points, but the option to use them isn't there when contouring.
I know it's asking a lot, but can anyone post a step-by step for me to follow.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a common operation without a "Simple" solution. However it can be done by being a little creative.

Take a look at the attached file.

I created a chamfering tool using the step-drill dialog.

Then created an offset curve to define the tool path center-line

The operation is Fixed_contour using the offset curve as the drive method. Take a look at the projection vector - very important!

I am sure there are several other ways this can be done in NX. This is just the way I have found it to work and get good results.

John Joyce
Manufacturing Engineer
Senior Aerospace CT
NX 10 & 11.0.1 Vericut 8.0

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=03ca3f92-ebfc-43f1-9f12-f92e357452dc&file=3-d-chamfer.prt
Sorry for the delay in replying, but I was out of the office last week. Thanks for the replies.
The example posted by John is exactly what I am trying to do, but could you tell me how you create the offset curve - as I said, new user, so nothing is easy for me.

Tingsryd, I have uploaded a jpg as requested.

Any other help on chamfering inside and outside of slot would be appreciated.

jpg attached this time hopefully

slot_in_cylinder_xznjtl.jpg

What version of NX are you using?

To create an offset curve use

the Offset curve dialog

Menu - Insert - Derived Curve - Offset

John Joyce
Manufacturing Engineer
Senior Aerospace CT
NX 10 & 11.0.1 Vericut 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.