Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Controlling a spline shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

isnemo

Automotive
Dec 4, 2014
US
Good morning and Merry Christmas! I hope you all had a great Christmas day.

I have a question about splines> How to create and how to control them.

I'm trying to change an arc to a spline and indicate what points on the spline will control it's shape. See the image.
Can this be done or do I need to 'Build' the spline by selecting the control points.

If I must build it from scratch what is the fastest way to build them. It seems like a lot of clicking thru dialogues to get a single spline built and I have a few hundred I need to create.

Spline-question_synhzt.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BubbaK - Thanks for the reply!
That does in fact create the spline but the control points (knots)won't line up at my intersection points. If I try to create a 'Coincident' constraint the command will snap to the closest control point and change the shape. The shape that I'm trying to control has a very tight tolerance. I can't have the constraints pulling it 'out of shape'. I know this can't be that hard I've just never had to do this before. :/

Divide the arc at the points where you want spline knot-points. Then use Join Curves.

I don't understand what you're doing with constraints. The spline you're getting exactly replicates the shape of the original arcs(s). If that's not acceptable, then I need more info about what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back