Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CONVENTIONAL DOUBLE BLOCK AND BLEED VALVES SYSTEM CONFIGURATON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro409

Chemical
Mar 22, 2010
IR
Dear members,
In the gas process plant, where must(or can)the conventional double block and bleed valve be used?
any comments is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thank you
but, In the offered matter it is reffered to the hot work for which the double block and bleed can be used for the isolation. but, some pepole consider other criteria required for considering double block and bleed. these criteria are:
1. in high pressure system, operating press. above or equal to 70 barg
2. H2S partial press. > 1 bara
3. all normally closed process lines connecting to drain.

what is your opinion?

My opinion is that the term "positive energy isolation" comes from the realm of Health and Safety. Since the DBB concept lives in that realm, the only reason for it is personnel protection from energy sources (not even from poison gas, but that one would be hard to sell in court). If there are other applications that want two seating surfaces separated by a vent (for another example, if someone just HAS to have a bypass around a custody transfer gas measurement station I make sure that they have a way to verify that there is zero leakage around the meter), they will have their own criteria and limitations. The stuff you mention might be a reasonable place to put the equivalent of DBB, but as far as I know no one is going to jail for getting it wrong.

David

I think the FAQ is pretty good!

Check with A) your company engineering standards, B) local and government regulations - then use you engineering sences.

Best regards

Morten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back