Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert AutoCad R14 to PDF 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSU70

Mechanical
Feb 15, 2005
US
I need to convert a number of existing AutoCad R14 drawings into .pdf format. I have both R14 and Adobe Acrobat 4.0 installed on my computer. The local AutoDesk retailer tells me that R14 didn't have this capability and AutoDesk no longer supports R14. So - I'd appreciate any recommendation for a work-around or for good quality reasonably priced (<$100) software that can do this task. The drawings need to look like the originals when viewed and when printed in 24" x 36" size.
Greg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In AutoCad, when I go to file, print and click on "device and default selection", I cannot see any of the printers that are installed and available w/ other MS programs, ie: distiller, pdf writer, my deskjet nor my laser. Only a "default system printer" shows in this selection box. All software is installed on my stand-alone computer - no network is involved.

Primo works good Dmitri but I have found a problem with it. The issue comes down to a specific scenario, PDF with Primo or Adobe Post Script from Windows 2000 Pro (or Win NT) and then try to view on Mac OSX and the file is just garble. It is a problem with the post script from adobe - win nt - and the default viewer of Mac OSX. The only program I have been able to use to get around this CUTE PDF, you can find it at download.com and it too is freeware just like Primo. The pdf is created just like it is with Primo, after installing the software, open your drawing and choose file, print and select the software (Primo or Cute PDF) and it will prompt you for a file name and location to save it.

PEinc,
This would work if I didn't have some 10,000 drawings that may require conversion to PDF. I think asking that would wear out our friendship.

Converting 10,000 drawings to pdf is a major project - one that's justifies buying the latest AutoCAD version. If you have 10,000 drawings, you are doing major CAD work. Get into the 21st century. Buy AutoCAD 2005.

Getting back to your original post or two - it seems that your trouble is that AutoCAD only recognizes the Windows default printer. Can you make Adobe be your default printer? The batch plot sets of the drawings?

I've set Distiller as the default printer, but it appears that Distiller doesn't recognize the type of postscript format that ACad 14 creates. The error message I receive from Distiller reads --"Error: undefined; offending command:pC2Version 1" "Flushing: rest of job will be ignored" "Warning: PostScript error: No PDF file produced".

Check Acroplot pro from Cadzation.com. It will pdf dwg files, doc files and I don't know whatever. Best of all, it will do batch converting. It includes a print driver that will convert files like you are sending them to a printer.

We use it on 5 machines and it works great. Good program with a decent price.

IDWT

Pat,
Unfortunately, CutePDF manages documents that are already in PDF format. I'm trying to get AutoCad drawings into PDF. But thanks for the reply.

MSU70

What do you mean by "manages documents that are already in PDF format". I am using it to create pdf files from Solid Edge or from Word, so unless I misunderstood something it should work?

As was suggested earlier, have you tried PDF995? Pay the $10 and you can do away with the advertising. You should be able to set it as the default printer and be fine.

--------------------
Bring back the HP-15
--------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back