Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting European VOC emissions to ppm 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay1W1

Materials
May 2, 2009
US
I work with engineered wood products imported from Europe.
I have good VOC emissions information and test data from Europe however the VOC emissions are measured in grams/square metre - hour for panel products.

Although these units are often acceptable, some people require a ppm value which is a concentration and not a simple unit conversion.

I derived a conversion factor for formaldehyde emissions from information published by CARB and so far this has been accepted.

Can I use the same conversion factor for total VOC emissions?

Thanks, I would appreciate any advice or references on this subject. John aka Kay1W1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although I'm not the expert on this there's one obvious difference. g / m2 h is mass based. ppm (when talking about concentrations in air!) is typically volume based.

Different VOC's have different molarmasses (g/mole). So unless formaldehyde is your main component which is released, you need to be carefull.

Thanks Heinrich I had given up on getting a response to this post so I really appreciate your input.
I am planning to contact CARB and see if I can get a copy of the Battelle report where they calculate the Formaldahyde conversions. The company that prepared the report will not share it as it belongs to CARB. Hopefully since it was paid for by the taxpayers it will be available. John aka Kay1W1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back