Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cooling and Heating Load Calculation Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hepa99

Mechanical
Jan 6, 2009
US
guys, can you share what's HVAC load calculation software you are using and what's your comment and experience?

I'm looking for residential/commercial HVAC load calculation software that can use in USA and other country (ASIA, etc.)

appreciate your relpy. thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use Elite Chvac 7.01. Works fine, except for a building with a lot of zones, you have to calculate all zones just to see the results of a change in 1 zone.

We use Wrightsuite Universal in our office. It uses the ACCA Manual "N", or the ASHRAE methods, Radiant Time Series and the traditional method. It has a graphical interface where you can load a floor plan and trace your different rooms or zones into the program directly. Its OK for medium sized buildings, but for larger spaces the graphical interface is tedious as you cant zoom to see the extents of your building much beyond 150'

It's the best program I've seen though, much simpler and easier to use than others mentioned. There residential programs are good too. They have worked out a lot of bugs in their latest release and their technical support is pretty good.

We use Elite Chvac 7.1 as mentioned above. It is good for loads only.

Now that we are doing simulations we also have Trane Trace 700 and that is all half our office uses now. I have more complaints with the simulation portion, but for loads my biggest complaints are how windows are input, it has no window type option, so each wall needs window are defined.

Trace has a nice 62.1-2004 ventilation rate calculation option that saves me time from having to do the calcs on a separate spreadsheet that we had to do when we only had Elite.

I've used both Trane and Carrier. My personal preference is Carrier. It comes down to basically for me that I like the way Carrier organzies it inputs and printouts. The Information is easy to find and they have good tech support from my experiences.

Well, I'm not quite sure what you are asking me, but the program is a load calculating program. So I guess the answer to your question is yes. That is exactly what I use it for. Now, it might also be able to do an energy analysis and stuff, but I use it for load calculating. The analysis is performed the same was for commercial and residential. So it doesn't really prompt you for what the analysis is for. But you can input glass types, and wall types that are already in the program or you can make your own. I've used Trane and Chvac as well and my preference is HAP.

If you have any more specific questions about it let me know. I hope I answered your questions.

cdmac,
i read HAP feature and it didn't say it include Residential load calculation. I think its for Commercial only. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Also do you know if they have 30day trial?

Actually i'll use this for my PERSONAL use only. It's expensive though ($1,495)

thanks!

Hepa,

What is different about calculating the residential loads than commercial loads? I input my walls, roofs, windows the same. The lighting and occupancy schedules might be different, but I use HAP to calculate residential loads all the time. I'm not sure why a particular program that can calculate commercial building loads wouldn't be able to calculate residential loads.

Maybe you are talking about a systems analysis with residential type furnaces and stuff. I just model the system as a constant volume roof top unit in that case.

What else am I missing ?

thanks for the info msb01, but the price is very expensive compare to HAP.

i'm just waiting for HAP-Carrier support to give me a link to try their software (hopefully for 30days) before purchasing the full license.

I need to talk first to carrier local carrier distributor before they give me trial version or buy the software.

this is sucks! carrier software support won't give me the link to download trial version of HAP without approval of their local carrier distributor....worse thing is the distributor is slo

If price is a factor you can try eQuest. It is energy simulation software that is available for free download. However you may have difficulty in finding the load information you are looking for as it tends to produce thousands of pages of reports in the detailed output. The simplified graphical outputs may help though.

Find it here:

PS. I normally use Carrier HAP for both residential and commercial load calculations. For quick energy modelling I use eQuest.

The problem with software is that many people using them have little knowledge how to calculate heating and coolimg loads and consequently these people will have no "feel" on their results.
In MA you can download worksheets that allows you to input initial conditions and proceed step by step with the calculations. Once you understand the formulae, than you can appreciate the value of such sofware.
Using these worksheets for resential,commercial and light industrial is a good place to start before embarking on larger projects.

I have been using Carrier HAP since it was first launched. A good program - Lot of bugs initially, more or less taken care now. A good and user friendly program. Has a very helpful "HELP" function. If you get stuck somewhere, just press the "F1" button and a help screen appears which clears the doubts.

Good luck.

HVAC68

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back