Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Coped HSS Beam at Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

azogr

Structural
Feb 21, 2007
US
I need to notch an HSS beam to sit on an existing girder and fit under an existing deck and slab. I am planning to use the attached detail. Other than checking the beam action of the reduced section for bending and shear and then developing the plate into the HSS itself is there anything else I need to consider? Have any of you done something similar? I will need to handle a minimal amount of torsion through the connection as well which is why I am not cutting the entire beam short and welding an angle on the end as a seat. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1576764821/tips/Notched_Beam_Connection_tpemot.pdf[/url]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know how much clearance you have between the T/STL of your HSS and the bottom of decking, but make sure your workers can get the tooling in there to make your holes, stuff the vertical bolts, and then pretension. I always try to avoid having the crew do field drilling because it's pretty tough work. Following that train of thought, I'd probably try to slot the HSS to fit the top flange and then fillet weld the joint between the underside of the flange and HSS workable flat and HSS vertical workable flat to beam web. If bolting is the way to go, I'd try to attach an end plate to the lower portion of the HSS and bolt horizontally through the beam web, but the proportion of HSS above and below the beam flange is very awkward. Best of luck to you.

We were planning to reduce the depth of the HSS section over the girder a little further and use a 3/4" shim pack to give some clearance under the slab/deck. According to laser measurements there is about 3/8" of variation so that should give us the flexibility we need. They wanted to try to avoid welding and claim they are going to be able to make the connection as i have it drawn. I hope they are correct. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back