Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Core and Shell HVAC Sanity Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

ME27272727

Mechanical
May 15, 2014
US
I can use a refresher on core & shell HVCAC / MEP design and see what others are doing. Most of my experience has been with smaller low-rise commercial buildings with very basic heating only and minimal toilet exhaust systems provided by the owner, where the tenants will typically later come in and provide their own basic packaged RTU's for their fit-outs. No central plants or BMS.

However I'm considering water source heat pump for my next C&S project, and stuck on where to divide owner / tenant responsibility for the WSHP system. Having the tower / pumps / boiler in owner scope is obvious, but how would you handle temporary heating / conditioning of the core/shell spaces? Would you provide a WSHP unit for each space and circuit it to the house panel temporarily and then recircuit it to the tenant panel during the fitout? Does it make sense for the owner to provide a DOAS for the building, or leave that up to tenants? Interested to hear how you guys are doing it. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on the size of the spaces and your climate. A central DOAS (ventilation) would be in owner scope for sure imo. It's so hard to get enough ventilation later on with shafts all sealed up and everything.
Will you have tenant panels installed with the C&S? If so, just circuit it to that in the beginning. If not, they'll have to recircuit it like you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back