Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

corona factor F

Status
Not open for further replies.

mersin33

Electrical
Oct 11, 2002
CA
Could anybody help me with the meaning and/or typical value of a "corona factor F" in the following equation for fair weather corona loss:

P=(0.000021xfxV^2xF) / ((log(2xs/d))^2

where;

P corona loss in kW/km
f frequency in Hz
V line to gnd voltage in kV
s spacing between conductors cm
d conductor diameter in cm
F corona factor determined by test

I have gone through many references but none of them refers to a typical F value for a double cct 230 kV transmission line.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The clue here is that 'F' is determined by test; i.e., it is a function of multiple factors which can vary widely and whose combinations are too varied to determine a typical value. Some of these factors include conductor: material; construction; number, pitch, and diameter of strands; intra-phase spacing; weather; etc. There is a discussion of corona and aerial lines on pages 56-63 of the "Electrical Transmission and Distribution Reference Book" by the Central Station Engineers of the Westinghouse Electrical Company.

Suggestion: First, it is necessary to calculate whether or not the corona is present. Then, the corona factor can be established under certain assumptions, e.g. air density factor and dielectric strength of air.
Reference:
C.L. Wadhwa "Electrical Power Systems," 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons. Chapter 6 Corona on page 135

ramconsult and jbartos,

thank you for your comments. I have the westinghouse book, however it does not refer to an F factor in the fomula I mentioned. I do not have the wadhwa book.

jbartos,

are you suggesting that there will be no corona power loss if disruptive electric field is not achieved? I calculated the min disruptive voltage for canary for given tower configuration and it is above 230kV, which is the line voltage.

thank you

saltan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back