Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Correlation between hardening of rubber and steel wires encapsulated within the rubber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallic007

Materials
Sep 14, 2016
MY
Dear all

I am taking part in maintenance of a bucket elevator (vertical)in a cement mill. The conveyor consisted of a thick rubber with steel cords/wires encapsulated within. The strength of the belt largely derive from the steel cords/wires. I have been told by the supplier that we have to monitor the hardness of the rubber belt regularly and when the hardness reaches a certain value a replacement is required. The hot operation environment would cause the rubber to harden over time.

I am curious on why should the rubber belt be replaced when the rubber getting hardened.

And is there a correlation between the hardening of rubber with the encapsulated steel cords/wires (e.g. fatigue, wear)?

What I understand is that the higher the temperature, the faster the hardening of the rubber. As rubber hardens, it becomes less flexible.

If it is less flexible, wouldnt it be good to the steel wires as there is less flexing? Or it would need a greater flexing stress to flex the rubber and the encapsulated steel cords during the operation?

Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As the rubber hardens it will both wear faster and it will crack.
When it cracks it will allow material to contact the steel cords.
This will lead to corrosion and failure of the cords.
You wouldn't drive on tires with cracks in them.
This leads to a dangerous situation.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back