Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

---Corrosive and Radioactive Resistant Piping--- 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carltogr

Chemical
Jul 30, 2004
US
Hello,

I have a recent need to provide piping that is both resistant to corrosives (aqueous solutions of <10% HCL, and <10% HF) as well as have resistance to radioactive materials. We have used stainless steel in the past, but typically it gets "eatin'" within 3 to 4 years. We have tried plastics, but they become brittle due to the radioactivity. Anyone know of a piping material that protect against these? How about a liner, and/or a coating that would protect the piping?

We would like to get protection to at least 6-7 years or double the life of the piping.

thanks,

Carltogr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My apologies, but I do not have any experience with radioactive materials. We try not to use them.

This is a simplistic approach - to double pipe life from 3-4 years to 6-8 years, double the wall thickness. When we design against corrosion, that is what we do. You can either use better material, or more material. Sort of the "When in doubt, make it stout." method. We get the corrosion rate, and after determineing the life of the pipe required, we get the thickness.

Like I said, this is a simplistic approach.

If you want different material solution, I will defer to my colleagues.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I just noticed this is a duplicate of your other post:

Corrosive and Radioactive Resistant Piping
thread338-185694

Please do not double post, as that just fagments the responses and comments.

I will move my posting to your other post, as someone has already responded to that.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I am not a corrosion expert, but I know that both of those acids can be tough on stainless, even dilute. Monel might be a good choice. Hasteloy would probably work too, but is very pricey.

Another possibility is HDPE. Not sure what kind of radiation you are talking about, but HDPE is used as shielding for neutron radiation in nuclear power plants, so presumably it holds up ok. I would check it out further before I went that route though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back