Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COSMOSXpress Stress Analysis of Weldment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibro

Structural
May 7, 2005
US
I want to do a stress analysis of weldment with COSMOSXpress. It seems that COSMOSXpress works only with part not with weldment. Any workaround? Is there way to "convert" weldment to one solid part? I am using SW2006.
Thanks,

Ibro V.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No work around that I'm aware of....COSMOSXpress is an introductory version of COSMOSWorks. Check you online help for what you can do in CE. I think you will need to have the Cosmos Professional to be able to do weldments because I believe it treats them as assemblies. I could be wrong on that because we use a different analysis program.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success." - Henry Ford

How about doing a Combine on the Cut List bodies? Not exactly the same as a weldment, but maybe close enough.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Blimey is correct in saying that while you cannot use cosxpress on an assembly or a multi-body part, you can combine the individual bodies into a single entitiy and run the analysis like that.

The one major problem with this method that "contact" areas will become solid, as if the part were welded with 100% penetration and no weld re-inforcement (the bead) and this would certainly be misleading as to the actual strength of the weldment.

Another method i have used in the past is to actually model the welds complete with penetration profile, and crown. In areas where necessary i have also modeled the melt through (such as the root pass of a v-butt weld).

You can use any method that you wish to model the beads, just make sure that you re-select the "merge result" option in the property manager.

Oh i should mention that if there are faces in the members of a weldment that touch, they too will join when using this method so you may want to cut-a little material so there is a small gap before you start modeling weld beads.

Just another option.

Best of luck

Regards,
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back