Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Could not recompute - sick parent in profile - referance palne

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkdragon

Mechanical
May 22, 2003
Using solid edge 14 service pack 5. I get a grey arrow pointing to a cutout when I go back before that cut out and make a change to a profile I am getting this error message a lot. the cutout or protrusion that I get an error on seems to me to be non associative to the one I modify but I still get the error. when I go into the feature with the grey arrow beside it usually I find that either the dim lines or the profile its self has turned a brownish color. First of all where can I go to find the parent/child relationships between the various features? Second, what does the brown color represent. I can go back in and rediminsion or redraw the profile and the brown color will go away but the sick parent arrow does not. Any suggestions appreciated. I just don't understand what SE is tryong to tell me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The sketch profile you drew the original profile on can not find its complete definition.

Right click on the feature with the grey arrow in the Edge Bar and select Edit Definition. Click on the Plane Step and redefine your sketch plane.
Once the sketch plane has been redefined, you will be brought into the edit profile window. If you still have brown edges, that means that you are missing constraint information that was previously there. Remove the constraints and redefine them: coincident, include, and colinear are the typical culprits.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

It is sometimes helpful to start down the feature pathfinder tree starting at a point above your problem area. If you temporarily suppress a feature, then observe all the following features that are adversly affected by the supression you can get a quick feel for what features are associated. Unsuppress this test feature and continue the process until the association makes some sense to you.

Generally the problem is associated with changing some edge or surface that you used to dimension your troubled feature. Sometimes the plane in which you drew your feature will need to be redefined (edit definition/ profile step/plane step).You can also try to delete the dimensioning and re-dimension the feature that is having problems. This SOMETIMES works by itself.

The brown color profile or dimension shows the problem area but it is not alway so obvious how it is related to the change. ... but it always is. As you have found, it is sometime just easier to redraw the problem feature.

If you pause your cursor over the offending feature in Pathfinder, the Status Bar (just above and to the left of the graphics window in v14, just below and to the left in older versions) will tell you what it deems to be the problem.

It could be anything from a lost parent (reference plane or included element) to a corrupt constraint or the dreaded Edge/Vertex rebind failure. The Status Bar message is usually a good starting point.

Regards,

Kevin

dk,

I suggest that you review the technique you are using to create your Profile (sketch) planes. Sketching on existing faces of the model, or linking planes to faces or keypoints in the model is inherently 'fragile'. Creating global or local profile planes which rely ONLY on robust datums is a necessary skill for robust modeling.

Try establishing primary datums & keypoints in one or more initial sketches (with associated planes) before commencing the solid model itself. This way changes to the model are far less likely to affect robustness. Project features ONTO the existing part (from a robust plane) rather than 'growing' them from a face of the model and you will notice a distinct reduction in warned/failed features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back