Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cover Letters 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMango

Mechanical
May 1, 2001
US
I did a search and couldn't find this topic discussed in detail, a bit surprising. I am planning to relocate from Southern California to Central Florida this March or April. I am an only child, and my father is a widower. I am moving back home to provide care and companionship for him, especially after a severe health scare last year. Should I include this information in my cover letters, or should I save this information for the (fingers crossed) interviews?

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is a local address and number for a point of contact, not an indication of your residency.

It is not like that is verified. Who cares if you live on Oak St. or 21st Ave.? FL or CA?

MadMango

Never had the pleasure of Ca. however I recall some primo times in Jax. Beach and Gainesville.
The lightening (elec storms) in Fla. are epic. So are the kini's.

Enjoy.

I would not include "personal reasons" that sounds sketchy to me.
Omit the reason for moving, save it for the interview. And by the way, your reason should be an admirable quality to your perspective employer. It would to me.

Good health to your dad.

I think the suggestion of using your Dad's address is effective. When you relocate, that is probably where you will be staying. Since you are not expecting any relo, that eliminates it from the equation. These days relo money or any suggestion to relo money could get your resume immediately tossed into file 13.

I had planned to use the FL address, stipulating that I would be available April for interviews. I didn't consider a new cell number however. Thank you all for the advice, it will be heeded.

The cover letter should restate your qualifications, and that 'if you have a need for ......, contact me by any of the following avenues.'
In my last job, my interest in the area had a positive effect. During the interview an exhibit of various samples was a benefit.

ScottyUk - nothing wrong with Oz [afro] - except for the extreme heat, long lasting water restrictions, distance between towns and countries, flies, over dependent economy and the amount of creepy crawlies that could put an end to all that at any time.

Good thread. MadMango, i wish both you and your father all the best, you are doing a good thing which will be greatly appreciated.

I am beating a rush, but I don't think it relates to people leaving CA. I think it is people leaving the Shuttle programs and flooding the local FL job markets that concern me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back