Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Crane Tests 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

djwright

Petroleum
May 20, 2002
DE
I have got an electro-hydraulic 15ton SWL crane fitted with something called automatic crane protection system. I want to test and use the crane in UK.

Do I have to test the crane at 1.1 or 1.25 x SWL?

Do I have to think about the structural and mechanical strength separately from hydraulic system (relief valves) when considering test loads?

How do crane automatic protection systems work and do they need to be adjusted according to test at 1.1 or 1.25 x SWL?

DJ Wright

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A commercial crane is usually proof load tested to 1.25 SWL.

I am a little bit puzzled why you you need to do a proof load test unless it is for a critical lifting application

Most commercial design codes assume a single test at the start of life and it is only repeated following significant modifications or repairs.

You need to check through the existing certification for the crane. If you have a proof load test already you don't need to repeat one. If you haven't got any certification you have a problem. By law (L O L E R) the crane should have an third part annual inspection by a certified body to check whether the crane is fit for purpose. Within this yearly check the cranes documentation should be checked before it gets the green light.

With regard to the automatic protection system - these are effectively control systems that are in place to stop or warn the operator that he is outside the SWL of the crane (they are disengaged during proof testing).

Regards

gjb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back