Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a groove consistent with a milling cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocleverley

Automotive
Nov 24, 2017
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to model a groove on a curved surface that is to be made on a 5 axis. I only know how to sweep a 2d Sketch which when going around radii smaller than that sketch width causes a clash and cusp error. (see below)

In real life this isn't a problem because we are just cutting away the material, but it would be nice to have the groove modeled as if a circular cutter had been ran around this curve normal to the support surface.

Is there any way to do this in Part Design or GSD?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ferdo, it's more creating the sweep to make a solid that's limiting at the moment.

Harun, Oh that's great, I didn't realise I could get some control lines. Presumably from the "Location Values" tab? It looks like it's only for straight lines through, not a profile.

I'll have a play over the weekend. Thanks,

No no, u can use if for profile, if you want you can send me part, I can make it for you.
I use this option when i have very complex curve and I must make surface for spliting.
For example when i making surface for trim cutter, if a can see good you want the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back